Can surgery for cervical spinal stenosis cause spasms in right hand and forearm with history of arthritis ?

I just had surgery for cervical spinal stenosis. Now, I have uncontrollable spasms in my right hand & forearm. I can't use the mouse on my computer & the thumb is really hurting.
I am 69, 5' 7" 116 lbs. I have arthritis and the surgery happened May 31, 2011.
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

After the surgery for cervical stenosis, sometimes post operatively there is some nerve fibres involvement in the cervical area due to the swelling of the surrounding tissues due to which you are having this problem in your right hand.Normally this is mildest form of nerve injury called as neuropraxia and it usually recovers without any treatment. The exact chances of full recovery can only be assessed after having an MRI scan one month after the surgery. A complete examination will also help in assessing the extent of damage to your nerve.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.