Can spinal stenosis cause joints pain and swollen ankle, thighs and knees?

Excellent

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Can l4 l5 spinal stenosi cause swollen ankle,thighs and knee as well as joint pain on knee leg ankle and hand?Numbness in the leg , hand finger head ?
Posted Sat, 14 Dec 2013 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 11 days later
Brief Answer: Not likely. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. L4-L5 spinal canal stenosis can cause a lower back pain due to associated disc prolapse and nerve compression symptoms like numbness and tingling with shooting pain in the legs. It is not likely to cause a swelling of the ankles with pain on the knee and the ankle. The numbness in the hands can be caused by similar spondylottic changes in the cervical spine. You need to consult an orthopedician for a physical examination and investigations to find out the cause of pain and swelling in the ankle and knee. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal.