Can spinal stenosis be due to the position during sex?

i have been in a somewhat relationship with a guy who insists on having doggy style sex,but he has a small size penis but he cant ejaculate, so it takes a long time i now have been experiencing alot of pain in my groin, thighs and lower back and was sent for a mri and the result is i now have spinal stenosis at numerous levels prominent facet and ligamentous typertrophy most marked l4 and l5, in addition i have a 12 mm synovial cyst arising from facet joint of l4-5 on the left side inpinging upon a descending left sided l5 and existing l4 nerve roots, also into the bargin i have gluteous medius. Its only since i started going out with him that i am experiencing all this, both groin, leg, lower back etc, he is not the most patient of people to talk to and this is the only position that he wants. Is he causing me to have this.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 22 minutes later

The changes in your spine on MRI are age related degenerative changes. Spinal canal stenosis or synovial cyst cannot be due to the position during sex.

The pain and discomfort you have due to the degenerative changes in the spine definitely get aggravated by the position during sex which you need to change immediately.

For relief of the symptoms you need to take a good muscle relaxant like thiocolchicoside along with a good pain killer like Aceclofenac in consultation with your Orthopedic Surgeon. Supplementation with methylcobalamin will also help in relieving symptoms due to nerve root impingement.
Meanwhile you can follow these measures:
- Apply analgesic spray or ointments.
- While resting, keep a pillow under your knees if it doesn't bother you.
- Avoid lifting heavy objects.
- Back strengthening exercises and stretching exercises for your gluteus daily as advised by a Physical therapist.
- Avoid exercises in times of pain.
- Improvise your posture while sitting.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Can spinal stenosis be due to the position during sex? 13 hours later
surely if this man cant ejaculate and spends hours doing it it is causing me discomfort and injury to my back, come on i had an mri last year and a dexa scan and it was clear.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for writing again.
So the best for you would be to change your position while having sex and give a rest to your back.
Wishing you an early recovery.
Follow-up: Can spinal stenosis be due to the position during sex? 6 hours later
no point in changing, he has done a runner cos of my back.
Thanks for writing again,

Then I am afraid that you might have to consider changing your boyfriend.

Thank you.