Can pineal cyst cause migraine and vision problems?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I was recently diagnosed by MRI with a small pineal cyst. I get migraines and my eyes bother me sometimes when I read on a computer or cell phone for awhile. Are these symptoms from the cyst ?
Posted Thu, 20 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Related to the cyst. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. Pineal cyst if larger than 0.5cm is associated with symptoms like headache; vertigo;nausea; vomiting; visual disturbances. The symptoms that you are having are likely to be related to the cyst. Do consult a neurosurgeon for a proper treatment. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Follow-up: Can pineal cyst cause migraine and vision problems? 3 minutes later
I saw a doctor and they said its very small and theres nothing to do except get a repeat mri in one year .
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: Consult neuroogist for treatnent. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. Since you are having the symptoms the cyst needs a further evaluation and you need medicines for symptomatic relief. If it is very small in size and your symptoms gradually worsen then it indicates a growth in the size of the cyst. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards
I have had migraines for years. Only recently had the cyst show up on an MRI. Ive had normal MRIs in the past. The only thing im concerned about is that my eyes are bothering me when i stare at a phone or computer screen for prolonged periods. I only saw the neurologist a couple weeks ago and hes aware of my symptoms .
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: Use OTC tear drops. Detailed Answer: Hello. If you had migraines for years then the eye symptoms may be related to migraine or dry eyes. You can use artificial tears 8-10 times a day for 2 weeks and see if the symptoms improve. Do consult an ophthalmologist if the problem persists. Regards.