Can oral contraceptive pills be started after the menstruation?
User rating for this question
Hi today is the 6th day of the menstrual cycle is there any pills i can start on from today
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 1 hour later
Thanks for your query.
Normally a contraceptive pill should be started on first day of the woman’s natural cycle (i.e. the first day of her menstrual bleeding). This is advised because:
1. The pills are more effective when used from the first day of bleeding. Starting the pills at a later date may not prevent pregnancy in your current cycle.
2. Starting the pills from the first day will not cause disturbances to your period days. Hence we can have a better regulation of periods.
Though it is advisable to start pills on the first day of periods, you may start them from now onward taking additional contraceptive methods in the current cycle.
Having said that, as hormonal contraceptive pills are to be used with caution in presence of:-
-High blood pressure,
-Diabetes with vascular involvement,
A complete personal and family medical history and physical examination, including blood pressure,should be taken prior to starting of an oral contraceptive pill. Hence I advice you not to self medicate. You may consult your doctor who can prescribe you pills like Ovral - L.
Hope this answer is helpful to you. Let me know if you have any more concerns.
Wish you good health
People also viewed
- Queries on oral contraceptive pills
- Althea oral contraceptive pills
- Contraception for the over 40s
- Oral contraceptive pills poisoning
- Does hip replacment surgery cause troubles with blood clot
- Oral contraceptive pills
- Trinessa birth control missed pill
- Myfortic and birth control pills
- What is the tratment for severe headache
- What causes pain in abdomenbelching and constipation
- Will enema suppository help in improving bowel movements in children
- What should i do for uti that requires catheterisation
- Can birth control worsen depression
- Can oral contraceptive pills be started after the menstruation
- Jolessa birth control and spotting