Can marvelon act as emergency contraceptive pill?

Question
hello. I am staying in abu dhabi, UAE. Last night 12:30 AM, 7th nov, during intercourse with my wife, condom tore. So we went to local OB gyn for consultation for emergency contraception. She recommanded marvelon21 tablet with 4 tablet immediately and 4 after 12 hours. My wife took the tablets as instructed. meanwhile I was searching on online for Marvelon and came to know that it is not emergency contraceptive measure and she can still get pregnant, although she took first 4 tablets 17 hours after intercourse ( 7th nov, 5:30 PM ) and remaining 4 tablets after 12 hours ( 8th nov 5:30 AM ). I want to know if marvelon is effective as emergency contraceptive measure or not? If yes, how effective it is and how much chance my wife still bears for pregancy. Her period was due on 16th Nov. Now due to this medication, how much her period would get affected? If her periods are delayed by more interval, would it indicate that she bears a chance for pregancy? Thank you
Posted Sat, 30 Nov 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: please elaborate Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Welcome to XXXXXXX Please put the details of your query. I hope I will provide infomation of your use.

Follow-up: Can marvelon act as emergency contraceptive pill? 5 minutes later

Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 29 hours later
Brief Answer: chances of pregnancy almost almost nil Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Welcome back to healthcare Magic! The tablet Marvelon can be used as Emergency Contraception method and it protects against pregnancy with moderate efficacy. Actually this method is known for decades called as Yuzpe method. It went in disuse due to much adverse effects like nausea and bloating and arrival of better tolerated and more effective progestins. In your case, otherwise also chances of pregnancy are nominal because you had intercourse during safe period of the menstrual cycle. Marvellon will cause hormonal imbalance and next period may be delayed about a week. I hope the advise would be informative and useful for you. Take Care!

Follow-up: Can marvelon act as emergency contraceptive pill? 21 hours later
Hello Doctor Thank you for your reply after taking medication on 7th Nov , she still didnot have any withdrawal bleeding or spotting. However today she had a white discharge . what is it? Is it normal and ok? Would she have her withdrawal bleeding due to marvelon which she took? What would it mean if she doesnt have any bleeding due to effect of marvalon? Thank you

Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Periods can can be delayed upto 23rd November Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Welcome to health care magic. The thick white discharge in her case is related to the secretary phase of menstrual cycle and the effect of marvalon pills. The breakthrough bleeding or withdrawal bleeding may not happen immediately and under the effect of pills the periods can get delayed up to 1 week. In her case if the menses do not occur by 23rd of november then you need to take a urine pregnancy test again and if positive then you have to consult a local gynecologist for further management. I hope the advice will be helpful for you.