Can knee replacement surgery be done for both knees together?

Due to severe arthritis I need both knees replaced. The pain has been severe and pretty constant for a couple of weeks now. I'm using a cane all the time. Twice a year I lead groups on pilgrimage to the Holy Land where I'm on my feet for long days, walking, standing, and going up and down stairs, and of course there is also a 14 hour plane ride each way. Would it be possible to have both knees done at the same time and on average, how long after surgery would I be able to resume my trips? I have one scheduled for the end of next April. Any hope I would be able to make it?
Posted Thu, 16 Jan 2014 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Alokkalyani 6 hours later
Brief Answer: depends on the success of treatment Detailed Answer: Hi, Sorry for your pain and agony. There are many type of arthritis, but as per your history, I am assuming that you have osteoarthritis of your both knees. There are two type of treatment- first with some local ointments and oral pain killers as well as physiotherapy. If this is not helpful or arthritis is severe, then surgery is the next option. Now a days, both knee can be replaced simultaneously, this will save cost and time both and after surgery. On and average one is able to walk normally and go for trip after one month, depends on success of surgery and physiotherapy and your own health. Hope this will help, If you need any further clarification, please do not hesitate to write again.
Follow-up: Can knee replacement surgery be done for both knees together? 1 hour later
Thank you Dr. Alokkalyani. Your answer is very helpful. I do have two more questions for you: 1. Since I am a devout Catholic and attend daily Mass and other religious services, it is important for me to be able to kneel. Is this posture allowed once you have artificial knees? 2. I often have pain behind my knees that radiates half way up my thigh or down to my calf. Will the knee replacement take this pain away too or is it from another cause? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Alokkalyani 1 hour later
Brief Answer: yes Detailed Answer: Hi let me answer you one by one 1. Yes, you can kneel, but it depends upon your present status, means how much you can flex your knee before surgery and your general health, which I think, must be good. Now a days there are hyperflex prosthesis available, which can be very helpful, if one wants to kneel. 2. Yes, It seems that this problem is related to knee osteoarthritis, which can be resolved after surgery. hope this is helpful If any more questions, please donot hesitate...