Can irritation in throat be a side effect of taking simvastatin and felodopine for dry cough?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
I take simvastatin and felodopine and have had a dry cough for a considerable time now. Often worse at night time. Always needing to clear my throat. Could it be the medication?
Posted Sun, 9 Mar 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 40 minutes later
Brief Answer: Probably not the medication. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for using Healthcare magic. It is uncommon for either simvastatin or felodipine to cause to cause a dry cough although it is a recognised rare side-effect. I wonder whether you are suffering from acid reflux particularly at night. This commonly causes a dry cough. There are many common causes of acid reflux including fatty foods, alcohol, caffeine, spicy foods, hiatus hernia and obesity are some. Also smoking, although I note you do not mention that you are a smoker. Felodipine has been noted to cause acidity but only rarely. Alternatively, asthma can present as a dry night-time cough. I suggest you consider any life-style changes that may be possible. If these produce no benefit then you could try an over-the-counter antacid. These are readily available at the pharmacy. If the cough persists then consider discussing with your GP regarding a PPI (proton pump inhibitor) or investigations for acid reflux. I hope this is of help. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. Regards, Dr K A Pottinger, MBChB FRCA
Follow-up: Can irritation in throat be a side effect of taking simvastatin and felodopine for dry cough? 20 minutes later
Difficult this one. I don't eat fatty foods, drink very little alcohol, don't drink coffee or eat spicy foods, and I am just 11stone which for my height of 5ft 6 inches is ok I think.Not a smoker and never have been. Maybe therefore need to go down the antacid route as do not have asthma. Regards, Hugo
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: I agree. Detailed Answer: Hi, Yes. I suggest you try antacids. If you get relief then this would confirm my suspicions. If, however, you find you are consuming large amounts of antacid or your symptoms persist, then see your GP. Gastro-oesophageal reflux is relatively common and easily treated. Hope this helps. Regards, Dr K A Pottinger