Can atenolol 50mg and hctz 25MG cause thinning of hair?

Can Atenolol 50mg and HCTZ 25MG daily cause hair thining leaving bald spots on top of my head? I've noticed this
more since Atenolol was increased and HCTZ was added this past XXXXXXX (2012)

Should I see a dermatologist?

Thank you XXXXXXX

Posted Sun, 16 Dec 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 5 hours later
This condition called as TELOGEN EFFLUVIUM can be caused by the atenolol being taken by you but there can be various other causes for thinning of hair and bald spots arising in you.
The most common causes of hair thinning are chronic stress and dietary deficiencies like deficiency of iron,B complex vitamins and specially VIT B6 and VIT B12.
Deranged thyroid functions can also result in bald spots.
Other causes could be 
Alopecia aerata
Ringworm of scalp
Conditions like lupus etc.

I would advise you to change from atenolol to some  other antihypertensive after consulting your doctor and start taking a good balanced diet along with proper supplements of iron and B COMPLEX vitamins and get tested for thyroid functions.

Wait for couple of months and see the result.
If still no change,you may consult a dermatologist for the diagnosis of cause and treatment.
 I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck