Can a UTI result in bumps around the genital area? Had a pap smear same day. Related?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Can a UTI result in bumps around the genital area or it this the cause of something else? I had a pap smear and the same day I began having minor irritation. I waited and this turned into burning durring urintation. I called and explained my symptoms and the Doc perscribed me something for a UTI. Now I've noticed 3 small bumps in that area. Is this something I should be worried about or is it from the UTI? They don't hurt or itch and the burning is going away with the medication.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 50 minutes later

Bumps on genitalia could be due to skin infection or inflammation which in turn could cause antibiotic course.
If the symptoms persist even after a couple of weeks, then you should consult your doctor for an evaluation.
Till then you may try the following for some relief.

•     Maintain adequate genital hygiene and do warm sitz bath twice or thrice daily.
•     Apply local antibiotic ointment if pain or swelling noticed.
•     Drink plenty of water and fluids
•     Keep the area as dry as possible.

I hope I have answered your query.
Follow-up: Can a UTI result in bumps around the genital area? Had a pap smear same day. Related? 59 minutes later
I was reading a lot about HPV and was worried that could be a reason? Will my pap smear catch that if that's the case? And if the bumps go away then the reason they appeared was from the UTI? I do feel a bit swollen in that area but the burning durring urination is increasingly getting better as I take the medication. Is there a chance this could still be some kind of an STD? Or am I jumping to conlclusions?
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 38 minutes later

Thanks for the follow up.

Yes, HPV can be detected on your pap smear.

HPV can cause genital lesions but they are usually not related to UTI.

In your case, if lesions subside with treatment then they are not related to HPV.

There is a chance that an STD could cause such symptoms but if your lesions and burning resolve with treatment, there is no cause to worry. But if your lesions and symptoms do not subside with treatment, you can wait for Pap smear report and if suggestive of HPV or any other infection, it can be treated accordingly.

As of now, don’t jump to conclusions, as I don’t think the situation is worrisome and chances of the diagnosis being UTI is more likely .