Can Xanax intake during pregnancy lead to complication in fetus?

I took over the prescribed amount of xanax about 3 weeks ago, and today I found out I'm pregnant. I have irregular periods but by my calculations I believe I am 3 to 4 weeks along. I am concerned for my developing fetus and want to know if I have done any damage to it?
Posted Thu, 27 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 53 minutes later
Brief Answer: Need more info Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query Taking Xanax during the first trimester of pregnancy is known to carry maternal and fetal risk, please get back to me with the dosage you are taking so that I can help you better. Please also mention the other medications you are on if any. I am awaiting your reply Regards
Follow-up: Can Xanax intake during pregnancy lead to complication in fetus? 14 hours later
It was actually alprazolam and it was about a total of 5 mg in one day. There are no other medications at this time.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 23 hours later
Brief Answer: Overdose of alprazolam Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the reply, I am sorry for the short delay I was on call at my hospital. It looks like you have over dosed yourself with Alprazolam and this increases the risk of birth defects in the child. The common defects seen are respiratory depression, low birth weight and loss of muscle tone in the baby. I strongly suggest you to get an anomaly scan done at 20 weeks of gestation to look for birth defects. Please visit your obstetrician and discuss this issue with her as well. I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me Regards