Can Norethisterone be taken to delay periods?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Question
I know that you take Cerelle as a contraceptive continually (with no gaps between packets) and menstrual bleeding will happen naturally. If I wanted to delay my period one month (because I was going away on holiday and it would be inconvenient) could I take Norethisterone to delay the start of my period for that month? Thank you.
Posted Tue, 25 Feb 2014 in Birth Control

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 41 minutes later
Brief Answer: EXPLAINED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. See if you want to delay your period, it is complicated while on Cerelle. It all depends on when are you going for a vacation. If you have time , then finish the current pill pack and wait for your period. Then, once the period starts, take Norethisterone from the 20th day of your cycle, and continue using it as long as you wish to delay your cycles. That would work. All the best. Please feel free to discuss further.

Follow-up: Can Norethisterone be taken to delay periods? 14 minutes later
Thank you for your response. Do you mean finish the current pill packet and not take any more Cerelle, wait for my period to start, take Norethisterone from the 20th day of that cycle, stop taking it when I'm ready for my cycle to start again, wait for my period to start and then restart the Cerelle from the 1st day of my period? Please let me know if I have understood you correctly. Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: EXPLAINED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hi That is exactly what I meant. Finish the current pack of Cerelle. Then wait for the period to start ( do not start a new pack ). Count the first day of bleeding as day 1. Then from the 20th day of that cycle, take Norethisterone for as long as you wish not to menstruate. Once you stop Norethisterone, you would have withdrawal bleeding. From the first day of that withdrawal bleed ( or period ), restart Cerelle. Hope its clear. Take care. Please feel free to contact me directly anytime at - WWW.WWWW.WW