Can I take contraceptive pills without worrying about side effects to avoid pregnancy?

I wanted to know how can i avoid pregnency,whether pills are safe,if yes,which pills and how much effective are they.are there any side effects after taking pills.and need details about the same.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Chetna Jain 4 hours later

Oral contraceptive pills are most commonly used, effective and temporary contraception for females.

They are of 2 kinds
1. For breast feeding mothers,
2. For others

To start a pill one must exclude migraine, cancers (personal or family history),Liver disease, hypertension, high cholestero,clots etc. The list is broad and not inclusive.

In the absence of any such condition combination oral contraceptive pills are best. A combination of Ethinyl Estradiol and Drospirenone is widely used and accepted currently. These pills come in a fixed dose formulations and are provided by the Govt of India free of cost, otherwise you can obtain them from a chemist on prescription from a doctor.

Other methods are Condoms, Intrauterine devices like Copper T or Multiload, and 3 monthly injections.

If you are not married/ or having a long term stable relationship then condom needs to be used along with pills to reduce chances of sexually transmitted infections.

You should also know about the cervical cancer preventing vaccination, and consider getting vaccinated.

Hope I have answered your query. Do write back to me if you have any more queries.