Can I take Florastor while on blood pressure medication?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2014
Apr 2014

Radiologist
Question
Can I take florastor while on blood pressure medication. I am currently taking 20 mg of aciphex for acid reflux, 20 mg lipitor in the evening, and 2.5 mg of vaster late morning. Have had diarrhea on and off for about 5 days. Saw my GI doctor 2 days ago and says I do not need an colonoscopy . had one done 4 yrs ago with ZERO polyps. Blood work is all normal. Vasotec is the blood pressure medication
Posted Wed, 12 Feb 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Yes,you can take Florastor along with other drugs. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing to us Yes,you can take Florastor.It is a probiotic and it is prescribed to you for diarrhea. Some conditions change the normal flora in intestine and probiotics help in improving digestion and restoring normal flora. You can take other medicines along with Florastor. You are taking right medicines for other conditions. It is good that blood reports are normal. Colonoscopy is advised to you for diarrhea.It will screen you for probable causes. Besides medicines you should go for walking to control hypertension.Avoid smoking and alcohol if you take these things.Take lot of fruits and vegetables and take restricted salt in your diet. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Can I take Florastor while on blood pressure medication? 43 minutes later
I do not smoke or drink and my diet is usually very good. This all started early Tuesday morning when I had a very high fiber vegetable drink. I had normal day on Friday but again started on Saturday. I bought the EZ Detect Colon Disease Test (drop small pad in toilet) to check for blood. I've been doing that for 3 days and it is coming up Negative. . My appetite is very good. Do you think I still need a colonoscopy having one done 4 1/2 years ago and with all the information I have given you. . My GI doctor says it can wait but I like to hear 2nd opinions.

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 7 hours later
Brief Answer: You can wait for Colonoscopy. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing back You don't have any major problem at present,so you can wait. Generally colonoscopy is not advised for such short duration illness.Besides this, test for blood during three days are also negative. It is good that you don't smoke or drink. It is fine that you take healthy diet. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Can I take Florastor while on blood pressure medication? 2 days later
My doctor said all my blood tests came back fine. Two things came back out of range, but all others were normal so he said no need for any concern. What is your opinion. Normal Ranges are in brackets. The bilirubin and lymphs test were out of range by a little bit. I didn't list everything, but here are some important one's besides the 2 out of range tests. Bilirubin 1.3 (range 0.2 - 1.2) Lymphs 18.8 (range 20-45) RBC 5.4 (4.40 - 6.10) WBC 6.5 (3.6 - 11.0) AST 25 (5-39) ALT 40 (5-52) Hemoglobin 15.9 (13-18)

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 16 hours later
Brief Answer: You have almost normal findings. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing back Findings are almost within the normal limit. Bilirubin level is just above the upper normal limit.It is acceptable.Besides this you don't have any physical problems and not any abnormal clinical findings. Lymphocyte count is also acceptable. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX