Can I stop taking Amlor for tachycardia, now that my pulse is down? ECG showed long and stout ST segment

Cardiologist, Interventional
I suffered tachycardia 5 years ago, hence my dr put me on concor cor 2.5 plus amlor 5 mg. Now my pulse is down to 60 - 67. Can I stop taking amlor!latest ECG revealed long and a bit stout ST segment - results not available now.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Raja Sekhar Varma 17 hours later

Thank you for your query.

Amlor is amlodipine, a type of calcium channel blocker. It is given for hypertension and angina. It is not really a medicine for your tachycardia. It does not really reduce your pulse rate either.

As such, it would be better for you to find out from your regular physician about the need to continue Amlor, since it might have been started for some other reason.

A pulse of 60-67/minute is quite normal when you are taking concor cor (bisoprolol). There is no need to worry about the pulse.

Since you are not sure of the type of tachycardia and there are no available ECGs or echocardiographic findings, it is not really possible to tell you about the exact nature of your illness and the duration of the treatment required.

It would be nice if you can try to get copies of the old hospital records or any other data which shows the exact diagnosis. You can also get a fresh ECG and echocardiography done to know about the current status of your heart.

I hope this answer is useful. Feel free to contact me for any further clarifications.

With regards,