Can I still get pregnant with cytomegalovirus infection ?

Question
Hi! I'm 33yrs.1m69 & weighs 120 kg.I was diagnostised PCos since2008 .Had irregullar periods from 2003 & ansence period tha 2 past years. I was recommended to lose weight to get the periods back regularly and it did happen the last 18 months(with 3-5 days of delay thus making a 35 days cycle). Finally we found that my husband had a low sperm count n poor motility,morphology...But on the 14 May 2011, I was on my 9th day delay. i had a pregnancy test +ve.Great.Had a light bleeding 17.05.11,doctor prescribed Ultrogestan n rest. next day eco on the 18th May n was congratulated.great. .3 vaginal ovule /day n staying at rest. the following days i got Belly cramps from time to time as if it warns the time 4 the next ovule(progesterone). on the 21st May 2011 at 6.30 a.s, I was bleeding in bed. this time red blood.I swallowed the ovule as asked by Dr. 1h later the embryo came out,the bleeding stopped. Dr did eco to confirm miscarriage.That was the end of happiness but still we call it a "MIRACLE". Done Torch screening after 1 week . Results:Infections-Cytomegalovirus:+ve 250Iu/ml wher normal range stands more or= 6.00,
Blood Group: B , Rhesus D/+ve , Toxoplasmosis test Result 12.1IU/ml Range more=3.00. Dr only prescribed me Bactrim pills for 10 days & asked me to keep 1 folic acid /day. do u think I can get pregnant again n do u think I am free from infections. Why Bactrim? I also read that cytomegalovirus cannot disappear .Am I right? plz help.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 3 hours later
Hello ,
Thanks for the query
Sorry to hear about your loss.

Torch IgG and IgM is done to detect the infection. IgM indicates recent infection.

Cytomegalovirus is a type of herpes virus which causes retinal infection , hearing loss and fetal demise.

There is no specific treatment for it but still antiviral drugs are given like acyclovir.
Bactrim is a sulfa drug which is given for the treatment of retinitis , pneumonia and other complications caused by the virus.

The primary infection is more XXXXXXX for the foetus than the recurrent one.
IgG antibodies will remain throughout the life and can be detected in fetus also as they can cross the placenta. IgM can not cross the placenta.

Get your IgM done after 6 months , if it is negative you can very well plan for the pregnancy.
Till that time you can take progesterone in the post ovulatory cycle as you were taking before.
You can do regular exercises for weight reduction.

Your husband can take lyco Q factor, arginine, carnivit etc to increase the sperm motility. These are not very specific but currently tried to increase the motility rates.

You can take treatment for PCOD like ovacare forte , Metformin , cyproterone acetate + ethinyl estradiol combinations or dosperinone after consulting your Gynaecologist.

Please do not loose hope. There are good chances that you can get pregnant again. Diet control is very important.

Wish you good health. Any further query is most welcome.

Best regards

Follow-up: Can I still get pregnant with cytomegalovirus infection ? 40 hours later
Hello Dr!

Thx lot for your answers. I also missed an important questio : b4 I knew I was pregnant I was suffering from recurrent breast pain; very painful and burning "mamelons".Then it stopped after 2 days.
I'm also a little confused about "Retinal infection and hearing lost" Does this happen to the mother or to thr foetus?Then, I would like to know how did I catch that infection?( since u said " Img indicates recent infections".)
Then for my husband,can he just take the drugs after another spermogram? u know Drs here in Mauritius hate being told what to do. My husband was told by my previous Gyneco that his case was hopeless unless we go 4 IVF. He said that prescribing him drugs to improve the morphology or motility would only increase the sperm count .Therefore, he had never been given any treatment until I found "Indian Herbs " online. I also forgot to tell u that my husband was taking Sukraja Indian Herbs to increase sperm count and motility the 6 last months b4 I fall pregnant.
Now, I keep hope in another miracle trying our best to favour conception.Thx for answering me soon.
Lastly,I'm putting on weight very quickly.Is this due to PCOS?

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 6 hours later
Hello ,

Thanks for writing again.

Breast tenderness is a sign of early pregnancy.
Were you having this kind of soreness and burning during that particular cycle or before that also ?
CMV infection usually goes unnoticed means there are no symptoms but can cause severe infection in the foetus like retinitis , uveitis etc leading to miscarriage.

Your Toxoplasma result is not very clear , I mean IgG & IgM antibiody levels.
If it was positive then you should have taken spiramycin.I think the doctor prescribed Bactrim for toxoplasmosis which is right treatment.

CMV infection can be transmitted via blood route.
Toxoplasma transmission occurs while eating raw or undercooked meat.
Have you ever undergone a blood transfusion ?

Tell your husband to take herbal medicine like Oligocare forte and you can take Ovacare forte.
For PCOD there is specific treatment like Metformin which can be given along with Clomiphene Citrate or Letrozole for induction of ovulation.
Modification in diet and life style are very important factors in the treatment of PCOD.

Best wishes
Any further query is most welcome