Can I play badminton if I have cervical stenosis and cervical spondolysis ?

Question
Age : 38 , Weight 75 , active lifestyle
Why the Question ? I want to continue playing Badminton . Can I or NOT is the question ?
What happned ?Sequence of events
1. felt numbness in right hand index finger ( XXXXXXX '11) , minor tingling..also somewhat in thumb skin , NO PAIN
2. within a week , consulted physiotherapist , did MRI
3.Observations
- marked cervical disc narrowing at C6/C7
- large right posterolateral disc protrusion at C6/C7
- No significant cord compression
- Mild cervical spondylsois at C5/C6
4. Consulted a neuro surgeon - advised surgery
5. Consulted a Neurologist, advised no need surgery but observe symtoms
6. Given pain and nerve medicines ( didnt really take any )
7. within 20 days , numbness gone , feel as if nothing happened , physiotherapist advised no need surgery , just take precautions , no neck jerks
8. stopped playing badminton , started more of brisk walking - swimming
9. after 5 months , played badminton only very very occassionally like 1 in 15 days.
10. No changes observed , all as normal .
11. Can I continue playing is the question OR is it too risky ?
Guidance expected.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

What you are having is cervical stenosis and cervical spondolysis and these are responsible for the symptoms of numbness and tingling.

Since in badminton, there is stretching of the arm above the head and sudden jerking movement of the neck, hence it is advisable to avoid playing it for some days as it may cause worsening of symptoms. Work with a physiotherapist and do mild exercises. Resort to badminton only when your physiotherapist permits when you move from mild to moderate exercising.

The first line of treatment is by pain killers and nerve medications like neurobion or supplements. Apart from that there are epidural steroid injections, ultrasound therapy used to warm the area, which in turn brings blood flow and healing nutrients to the area or osteopathic manipulation. Final treatment is by surgical technique but this is undertaken when the medications and conservative measures have failed.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Can I play badminton if I have cervical stenosis and cervical spondolysis ? 1 hour later
Its now 4 months , I have no symptoms of pain or numbness.
I have not been playing.
So the query is really - Can playing cause such a sudden problem that it will lead to paralysis etc..because the disc protrusion can cause cord compression.

No offence to doctor , but I expected a specialist on brain/spine would answer and give some inputs on what to observe etc.

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 15 hours later

Thanks for writing back. I can understand your concern. Although paralysis associated with disc protrusion is mostly associated with lumbar spine causing cauda equina syndrome, yet if you are having cervical disc herniation then any sports causing further injury to the already stenosed disc and herniated disc may cause further injury. The ability to continue to participate in a sport or activity is largely dependent on the severity of the symptoms and the severity of the condition.

Initially it causes numbness, then weakness and then paralysis in the most severe cases. Bulging of C-6 to C-7 causes triceps, wrist and finger weakness. A bulging disc at C-7 can also cause a weak hand grip. Chronic cervical MRI report it is seen that there is marked narrowing of cervical disc and large protrusion, hence it is advisable not to indulge in any such activities like badminton which causes any further damage.