Can spinal stenosis and severe facet arthritis with sciatica causes to be paralyzed?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Can spinal stenosis and severe facet arthritis with sciatica cause me to be paralyzed or in a wheel chair? Will I qualify for disability with these conditions?
Posted Sun, 22 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: Not eligible for disability. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. Spinal stenosis and severe facet arthritis is not likely to cause a paralysis. It can cause cauda equina syndrome causing persistent extreme pain, loss of bladder and bowel control, etc. The spinal stenosis does not qualify you for disability. The paralysis is likely only in case of spinal cord injury or a vertebral body collapse due to severe osteoporosis or chronic infections like tuberculosis or malignancy. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: Can spinal stenosis and severe facet arthritis with sciatica causes to be paralyzed? 12 minutes later
Does my other health problems, age, along with the stenosis qualify me for disability, or do you think I will be able to work as a home care RN until I am 62 yo in 2 yrs? Thank you for your answers

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
Brief Answer: You can work as home care RN Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. Your other health problems also do not make you eligible for disability. You can work as home care RN till you are 62 years old. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards