Can I get epididymitis when my girlfriend has bacterial vaginosis? Have pain associated with epidiymitis

Can i get epididymitis when my girlfriend has bacterial vaginosis? Is it possible I gave her BV because I have epididymitis? She has had symptoms of BV for the past three weeks. Are we just spreading the infection back and forth? I read that the male is the one that carries the bacteria that causes BV. I'm also currently experiencing the pain associated to epididymytis. I've had a slight pain for the past three weeks but this morning i woke up in pain and it hasn't subsided.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
If your girl friend has bacterial vaginosis then she is not likely to transmit it to you causing epididymitis. But if you are having an infection, then it can cause bacterial vaginosis in your girlfriend.
Both of you need to be treated simultaneously with appropriate antibiotics. She needs to consult her gynecologist for a vaginal swab culture according to which she can get herself treated. You also need to consult a urologist for proper treatment.
This will usually respond quickly with a properly selected antibiotic.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Can I get epididymitis when my girlfriend has bacterial vaginosis? Have pain associated with epidiymitis 2 hours later
From everything I've read bacterial vaginosis is mostly due to multiple partners. If she has been with more than just me is there a chance I could have contracted epididymitis from a urinary tract infection from her? I know she has been my onl partner for the past 7 months. It has only been in the last four weeks this problem has happened and now I'm affected with epididymitis. I know for a fact she has been in contact with her ex in the last month. Do I have anything to worry about with that?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for writing back.
Bacterial vaginosis is not always associated with having multiple partners.
A retrograde infection of epididymis from the female partner is rare.
You need not worry about you getting the infection due to your girlfriend.
In case she is in contact with her ex, she needs to get him treated too to avoid recurrent bacterial vaginosis.
Hope my answer is helpful. Do accept my answer in case there are no more follow up queries.