Can I get a shot of twinrix while trying to conceive? How long to wait otherwise?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Hi, my husband and I are looking to conceive and I have the third booster shot due for Twinrix - should I not get this done? If I do, how long would we need to wait (if at all) before we try to conceive?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 45 minutes later
Hi there.

Have you experienced any problem in conceiving in the past ?

Do you have any medical problems ?

Twinrix is a vaccine that prevents against Hepatitis A and B.

It has no relation to conception. You can try to conceive whenever you wish as the vaccine will have no effect on conceiving.

You may get the Vaccine as per the scheduled date for the 3rd Booster dose. Do not worry. You may experience some flu like symptoms sometimes which is harmless and due to the vaccine products.

You will also need to get Tetanus shots once you get pregnant. You Doctor would advise you on that at the right time.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Follow-up: Can I get a shot of twinrix while trying to conceive? How long to wait otherwise? 2 hours later
Thank you for that - this is the first time that we will be trying.

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 14 minutes later
Hi there.

Thanks for the reply.

I wish you good luck for your pregnancy and good health. Do attend all the Antenatal checkups during Pregnancy, eat healthy, avoid junk diet.

You are welcome to contact me for any other query at anytime.

Follow-up: Can I get a shot of twinrix while trying to conceive? How long to wait otherwise? 16 hours later
Just another quick question in regards to us wanting to conceive...

I've recently had a fungal skin infection and i've been told to use Ressolve cream and i'm taking Lamisil tablets. Are these medications ones that we should hold off on trying to conceive while i'm using them? If so, how long after the conclusion of the treatment could we begin to try?

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 3 hours later
Hi there.

Both these medicines are Category B medications, which mean they have not known to be harmful for the fetus.

You can safely use these medications in prescribed amounts in pregnancy. There is no need to delay the attempt to conceive, you are free to try even now.

Wishing you good health and a healthy pregnancy.