Can Gout elevate CEA levels during chemotherapy?

Posted Thu, 31 May 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 2 hours later

I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.

Gout is common during treatment for cancer, but is related to tumour lysis syndrome and the breakdown of body proteins that cause your uric acid levels to rise.

I can't find any evidence where gout is a factor that can make the CEA rise. There are few studies which suggest that the drugs used in the treatment of gout that is indomethacin has caused CEA to rise, but still the information are inconclusive.

It has been observed that immediate post chemo CEA levels decrease but later tend to rise.

I advise you to check whether indomethacin had been used to treat as that might be responsible, even though the chances are very slim.

Yet again, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer