Can Atrovastatin decrease symptoms of spondylosis?

Oct 2013

I am a 63 year old male and have marginally high cholesterol. I have been taking Aspavor 10 mg for about two months. I also have cervical spondylosis in the neck that is causing me some pain. I have noticed that my neck symptoms seem to have reduced over the last month or so. Could this be due to the anti-imflamatory properties of Aspavor ? (Atorvastanin)
Posted Wed, 15 Jan 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Namala Bharadwaj 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Atrovastatin can decrease symptoms of spondylosis Detailed Answer: Hello dear Thanks for your query at XXXXXXX Atrovastatin has anti inflammatory properties that might decrease symptoms of spondylosis. Primarily open-label data in spondyloarthritis suggests mild to moderate efficacy on symptoms and function with Atrovastatin but its primary clinical role may be as adjunctive therapy to manage systemic osteoporosis and risk for cardiovascular events. Hope I answered your query. Regards.
Follow-up: Can Atrovastatin decrease symptoms of spondylosis? 1 hour later
Many thanks for the response. I was prescribed the Atrovastatin by a cardioligist primarily to bring down my Cholesterol levels. The reduction of my neck pain symptoms was co-incidental and I suspected the statin may be the reason. Am I correct to assume that by following a low saturated fat, high fiber, diet as recommended for cholestrol control will have a benificial effect on my neck cervical problems ? I am eating more vegetables, fruit, grains and legumes, reducing my intake of sugar and processed foods and white flour products, and eating fish twice a week. I am also taking an omega3 suppliment daily, eating more nuts and increasing the use of ginger and tumeric in my diet. I have reduced my red meat consumption. Generally I am attempting to eat more foods with supposed anti-inflamitory properties. Will these modifications in my diet 'kill two birds with one stone' ? i.e.get my ' bad' cholesterol lower as well as help limit my neck symptoms. Also, I am not entirely happy with taking statins for cholesterol regulation, but if they help my neck problem, it is more reason to continue with them.
Brief Answer: Healthy diet and statin will decrease both problem Detailed Answer: Hello dear thanks for your response. Your now taking a very healthy diet that contains rich in antioxidant that will help in decreasing cholesterol. It also help improve your general body health and have anti inflammatory property that will decrease spondylotic pain as well. I would suggest physical therapy and massage therapy as well to be much effective. As I already mentioned in my previous answer statin will help to decrease cholesterol effectively and probably a smaller effect on decreasing neck symptoms as well. It may not kill the second bird may marginally hit it. Regards.