Calf pain, twitching, positive for Factor II and MTHFR, had gall bladder surgery, palpitations. Possible blood clot?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hello. I've been sick on and off for the past eleven months. I was on bedrest for the last two months of my pregnancy with my nine month old. Since then, I've been experiecing tons of symptoms including dizziness, vertigo, heart paplitations (bradycadia and tachycardia), headaches, and extreme fatigue. Before my son was born I had two miscarriages. Following his birth I got pregnant again and suffered a third miscarriage and then was hospitalized after my gall bladder surgery because of extremely low blood pressure and high heart rate (70/42 and 172bpm). After many test (MRI, EEG, Holter Monitor, Echocardigram, bloodwork, etc.) the only things that have showed up abornomal was that I tested positive for the blood disorders Factor II and MTHFR. They have also tested me for Factor V but no results have returned on that. I haven't been able to get in to see a rhuematologist for treatment of these two disorders yet but am waiting for an appointment. However, the last four days I have experienced constant twitching in my right calf (and occasionally in the left). There is also worsening pain in my right calf that sometimes radiates up the inside of my leg and thigh. The twitching is worsened when I am laying down or sitting down. Should I be worried about a possible blood clot forming and, if so, would a visit to the ER be best?
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later

The twitching and pain in the calf muscles is likely to be related to myofascial inflammation. In the absence of swelling and tenderness and acute pain at rest, your symptoms are not suggestive of blood clot formation.

Disorders of factor II and MTHFR (Methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase) deficiency are more commonly associated with bleeding disorders rather than clot formation.

Right now I do not feel these are serious symptoms which need an emergency treatment. You can take an electrolyte XXXXXXX fluid and Vitamin B complex supplements and see if the symptoms subside.
In case the symptoms are persistent then you need to consult your physician for blood tests like coagulation profile, serum electrolytes, thyroid levels, Vitamin B 12 levels, etc.
Most of the time, such symptoms are mild and self limiting and improve in 7-10 days.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Praveen Tayal