Burning urination, raw and red vagina, no discharge or odor, no pus. Is it an STD?

Excellent
Question
Hi, for the past week or so I have this horrible burn when I pee, so I looked at my vagina and to the left (not all the way in but probably called the inner area) it is raw and red. This happened BEFORE my husband and I had sex so it is definitely not from friction/dryness during sex. I have no discharge, no odor, nothing like that. And when I put on some vaginal itch cream it does tend to make it a little bit better. But this concerns me, mostly because I am scared it is something bad, I have been married 9 years and 100% positive my husband doesn't cheat. It doesn't sound like an STD, does it? No pus, nothing white on it, almost like a burn. But nothing happened down there to have caused this, please explain what this is. It's about the size of a dime, around, and is reddish in color. Again, not all the way into my vaginal opening where the penis goes but almost. (It's not on any lips or folds or whatever). Any help/insight is appreciated!!!
Posted Sat, 9 Jun 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Thanks for consulting us.
This is a very common problem that most women have during there reproductive years.
Most likely it is a localized infection that can easily be treated by topical creams.
But you must see a Gynecologist to confirm the diagnosis & receive a specific prescription.
I hope you don't need a STD screen. But just make sure you are having regular pap smears & they are normal.
You may write back if you want to discuss this further. I will be glad to respond.
Hope you get well soon.
Warm Regards.

Follow-up: Burning urination, raw and red vagina, no discharge or odor, no pus. Is it an STD? 6 hours later
So the over the counter creams aren't strong enough? Yes, my pap smears have ALL been normal for YEARS.
What if I DON'T go to the gyno and get this looked at, it will get worse?
What causes this in the first place?
Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Thanks for your question & you are welcome here with all your questions.
This is good to know that your pap smears were all normal.
Anti-itch creams can only decrease your perception of symptoms but cannot treat an infection.
Most likely cause of this problem is a fungal infection but you have to be examined clinically at least to confirm this. Without treatment it may get worse or may continue to cause similar symptoms. So, it is better to get it treated.
Hope this answers your query. Please feel free to write back if you have any other concerns.
Otherwise you may choose to close this discussion by accepting my answer.
Wish you good health.
Regards.