Burning sensation in vagina, odorless light brown thick vaginal discharge, lower abdominal pain, had unprotected sex

Oncologist
Question
i am having severe burning and light brown thick discharge coming from my vagina. i recently had unprotected sex. there is no odor at all. the discharge is not runny its just substance like. I also have mile lower abdominal pain.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 50 minutes later
Hello and thank you for submitting the question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

From the information you submitted it seems that you are having a significantly abnormal vaginal discharge. Of course our main concern is that you may have contracted some type of infection.

In the absence of being able to examine you or to obtain a sample to submit for testing. It is impossible to really speculate about the most likely cost. But at the same time we must consider sexually transmitted infections such as chlamydia or gonorrhea.

It is also possible that what you're dealing with is bacterial vaginosis. These are infections which are very easily treated with antibiotics. Antibiotics will generally sure these infections within a couple of days.

At this time I recommend that you proceed to your doctors office or to a health clinic where testing would be available. Very quickly you could be provided with a medication such as an antibiotic which should completely improve your symptoms.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Sincerely,

Dr. Robert