Burning sensation in ribs, straining to pass stools, gas. What could be wrong?

both of my ribs or sides, i dont really know where it is but it seems to burn sometime, It doesn't really hurt, but I do sometimes get a sharp pain on the left or right side which only lasts about 5-10 seconds, It's doesn't really hurt long enough for me to stop what I'm doing and bend over, but It's enough to let my brain know that it hurt. Another thing is about 3 weeks ago I noticed that my poop is not normal like it should be, It doesn't hurt to poop and I don't really have to strain to poop, I have noticed that I do have gas when I try and have a bowel movement. I know I have to go but it doesn't come out like it should. I used to be able to eat at a fast food restaurant and go to the bathroom within 20 minutes-3 hrs. Now it comes out almost squirty like diarrhea, But I don't think it is. What could be wrong?? Please help?
Posted Fri, 21 Sep 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
The mild pain near the ribs on both sides is likely to be related to a pinched nerve due to an abnormal posture. This is a self limiting problem and is likely to subside without any treatment. You can take vitamin B complex supplements for an early recovery. Avoiding the painful activities will be helpful.
The problem you are having in a bowel movement is likely to be related to gas and indigestion. Doing some lifestyle modifications and drinking plenty of fluids will help in reducing the problem.
1. Increase the amount of fluid you drink, especially water. Avoid carbonated drinks and alcoholic beverages.

2. Avoid foods that cause gas, such as beans, broccoli, cabbage, and XXXXXXX The amount of gas that different foods cause varies from person to person.

3. Avoid swallowing air. Swallowing air may increase your symptoms.

4. Eat slowly. Avoid gulping food or beverages. When you rush through meals or eat on the run, you are more likely to swallow air.

5. Chew your food thoroughly before you swallow.

6. Avoid drinking through a straw.

7. Avoid chewing gum or eating hard candy.

8. Do not smoke or use other tobacco products.

9. Keep calm. Tension and anxiety can cause you to swallow air.

Some foods to be avoided include certain fermentable short-chained carbohydrates that are degradable by intestinal bacteria yielding large amount of gases, like hydrogen or carbon dioxide, thus causing belching and bloating. Such food include

1. White bread, pasta, pastries, cookies, onions, and asparagus, leeks, garlic, chicory roots and chicory based coffee substitutes.

2. Legumes (soy, beans, chickpeas, lentils), cabbage and brussel sprouts.

3. Honey, dried fruits like prunes, figs, dates, or raisins, apples, pears, sweet cherries, peaches, agave syrup, watermelon, papaya.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Burning sensation in ribs, straining to pass stools, gas. What could be wrong? 19 hours later
well, i think that helps. Like I said before, it kinda feels abnormal and sometimes there is pain, and other times it just burns, it's usually goes from the right side to the left, but the majority of it is on the right side. I forgot to mention that it feels like it's bruised in certain areas, I can press in a certain area on the right side ( I think near the the top of the ribs) and I can feel discomfort. I did notice last night that when I was laying on my right side while watching television, it bothered me so I had to switch positions and lay on my back instead, sometimes I can be sitting on my couch watching television or driving in my car to work and that's when I notice sometimes pain, sometimes burning but sometimes it seems to go away as soon as I get up..

Another thing that I forgot to mention is that 2-3 weeks ago before I noticed the problem I was drinking alot of carbonated drinks, and eating fast food almost everyday. I was sitting in my chair and playing videogames and that's when I noticed that something wasen't right.. Should I go see my Dr and get him to do a exam to pinpoint the exact problem.

U also said Abnormal Posture?? what did you mean by that? and how can I get myself to have a bowel movement? Does that have anything to do with why I can't have a bowel movement until days after I eat something or why it comes out not like a log but like a bunch of rat pellets or squirty.. I'm just really concerned.

AAAA-25 Year Old Male.
Thanks for writing again.
The pain below the ribs could be related to a muscle pull. Consulting a doctor to pinpoint the cause will be helpful.
To have a normal bowel movement, you will have to do the dietary modifications and drink plenty of fluids. It will gradually improve in 3-5 weeks. This is not worrisome and will improve.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Follow-up: Burning sensation in ribs, straining to pass stools, gas. What could be wrong? 13 minutes later
it actually wasent below the ribs. it feels like it is above the ribs on the right side. what exactly would cause the discomfort not necessarly the pain when i sometimes lie down on my side.. thanks
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 minutes later
It can be related to a mild muscle cramp or a muscle pull. A direct physical examination will help in confirmation of the cause.
Follow-up: Burning sensation in ribs, straining to pass stools, gas. What could be wrong? 2 minutes later
thanks for all your help. That really gives me some relief as I was worrying myself to the point of being sick. Now I can relax and I'm gonna schedule a dr appointment as soon as I can. Thanks for all your help..

regards XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 26 minutes later
Thank you.
I am glad I could help.
If you have no more questions, please close the discussion and rate the answer.
I wish you the very best in whatever you do.
Warm regards