Burning sensation in neck, back and stomach. Had stomach upset, gas, chills, hot ears. Normal tests. Help

Nov 2013

Hi Doctor,
I have burning sensation inside my body in different parts sometime around neck, back and stomach. I will explain you from beginning. 6 months backs I started getting chest pains and fatigue. I went for heart check up and everything is normal. I was advised to take gasteric tablets. I was worried too much. After few days I started feeling my ears are hotter (burning sensation around ears). After few days I started getting heat inside the body sometimes in my entire back and sometime in stomach(not inside stomach under the skin). I am getting this heat when I am in office evening times. I measured the temperature it is around 97-98. now a days my ankle, hands are burning. Also I have the bowl movement. The motion is not proper. Going 2-3 times in a day even though I feel something struck in stomach. And lot of gas gets released and smells very bad. Also I started getting chillness occasionally. I want for sugar test, thyroid test, cardiac check up, culture test and everything is normal. Vitamin D3 is insufficient. Vitamin b12 near border line. My BP is going low 64-120 last time I checked.
Posted Wed, 5 Sep 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 17 hours later

Thank you for writing in.

From the description of your symptoms, it appears that your peripheral nerves (nerves of hands and feet) may be affected. This can lead to various symptoms such as burning, tingling, feeling of hot or cold, numbness and weakness. These symptoms can occur in isolation or together.

The most likely cause in your case may be supplements (tablets and injections). Please contact your take Vitamin D supplements also.

In addition, you also have symptoms of stomach involvement. This could be acid peptic disease or irritable bowel syndrome. Sometimes, there may be poor absorption of vitamins in the gut, which can lead to vitamin deficiencies. Therefore, the nerve and stomach problems may be inter-linked. Your gastroenterologist may be able to sort this problem for you.

Please do write back in case you have follow up queries to ask.

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Health City, Hyderabad
Follow-up: Burning sensation in neck, back and stomach. Had stomach upset, gas, chills, hot ears. Normal tests. Help 2 hours later
Hi Doctor
Thanks for reply. Is there any tests that you recommend for Peripheral nerve weakness. Because I have done B12 test and the results are within range but on the border line.
The burning sensation is like XXXXXXX fever that is fever within the body (burns below the skin). Normally this happens when I am in office and sitting in front of computer for longer duration, while driving the car (the backside starts burning) and wearing jacket (body is closed completely) or lonely feeling tensed about the problem esp. in evening. sometimes the chillness also comes.

Can you please provide the diagnosis that I need to done related to stomach. It will be helpful if you provide me a kind of letter that I can give it to the gasteroentrologist doctor.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later

You could do nerve conduction velocity studies (NCS) of all four limbs to assess the peripheral verve involvement. This facility is available with most neurologists and also in good diagnostic centers. Regarding vitamin B12 level, the value may be near normal, but for good nerve function, the value should be 450-500 pg/ml or above.

Letter for the gastroenterologist ( you can print and carry this page):

Dear Sir,

I am referring XXXXXX, who presented to me with features of small fibre peripheral neuropathy, probably related to vitamin B12 deficiency. He also has features of gastro-intestinal involvement, possibly acid peptic disease/malabsorption. Please evaluate him and do the needful.

Thanking you,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Health City, Hyderabad