Bumps on the knee, started itching. What can it be ?

I've had a quarter sized bump on my knee for a while now. I can move it around some, feels hard and just now started to itch. I do not have health insurance and cannot afford to see a dr up front so have not been able to go. Could u give me an idea as to what it may be?
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

I would like to know few more things which would help me in suggesting you better:

1.) Since how long do you have this problem?
2.) Did you sustain any injury there?
3.) Which Knee is affected? Is other knee normal?
4.) Do you have similar swelling anywhere else on your body?
5.) Do you get pain while walking?
6.) Is it tender?
7.) Do you have it in the front, back or sides of the knee?

Since you can Move it around, it could be

1.) Baker's cyst.
2.) Meniscal cyst.

These and other causes have to be ruled out. Kindly get yourself examined by a Orthopedician so that he/she may examine you and run few tests like,

1.) Bloodwork.
2.) Urinalysis.
3.) Knee x XXXXXXX

Once the cause is confirmed, you will be treated accordingly. If it is a cyst, it has to be drained arthroscopically and correct the Meniscal tear if present.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wish you Good Health.

Take Care.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.