Bumps on stomach, starting to heal but seem to have increased in number.

I have a cluster of small bumps on left side of my stomach. i thought it was a spider bite but it's been over a month. now they're starting to heal it looks like but i think there's more than when i first got it and thought it was a bite with about 4 bumps. it's probably 16 or so now. the whole area is less than the size of a quarter.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

I would like to know few more things which would help me in suggesting you better:

1.) Since how long do you have it, Do you have Itching over it?
2.) Do you have pain and tenderness over them?
3.) Do you have similar symptoms anywhere else on your body?

I have seen the Images and it looks like Contact Dermatitis which is a rash that is brought on either by contact with a specific chemical to which you are allergic or with a substance that directly irritates the skin. As i said earlier, get yourself evaluated by a Dermatologist so that other causes could be ruled out. Once the cause is confirmed, you will be treated accordingly.

You may need few tests like,
1.) Bloodwork.
2.) Allergy tests.

You will be prescribed anti itch creams if there is itching, topical steroids to be applied locally.

Follow these lifestyle modifications:

1.) Apply cool, wet compresses over it regularly, this will soothe the area.
2.) Wear smooth textured cotton clothing, this will avoid skin irritation.

If you can reply to my questions, I will be able to provide you more specific suggestions.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.
Follow-up: Bumps on stomach, starting to heal but seem to have increased in number. 4 hours later
As I stated in initial email, it has been over a month. It is only in that one location. It only now is beginning to itch from time to time. I saw a doctor for something else (a cold) when I first got it and asked about it thinking it was a spider bite. He said I didn't need anything and to check my bed for spiders. However, it should have been gone by now if this were true. I think it's been 6 weeks.
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 9 hours later

Thank you for writing back to me.

Looking at the images once again, I don't think it is a spider bite since the local reaction at bitten area gets worsened in 24 hours, with redness spreading away from the bite, drainage, increase in pain, numbness or tingling, or a discoloration, about which you haven't mentioned and neither do I see in the images and it has been 6 weeks though since you have had the rash, hence spider bite is ruled out in your case.

Did you have history of chicken pox during your childhood?

One more thing I would like to let you know about is the possibility of Shingles, which is viral infection caused by Herpes Zoster virus which causes a painful rash and is more common on the right or left side of your torso. After you've had chickenpox, the virus lies inactive in nerve tissue near your spinal cord and brain. Years later, the virus may reactivate as shingles. It has to be confirmed.

Speak to your Dermatologist so that he/she may examine you and take skin scrapings from the surface for careful laboratory examination. Once confirmed, you will be prescribed anti viral medications, oral and topical , which you will have to take as directed for the prescribed period and go for regular follow up.

Follow the lifestyle modifications which I had advised earlier.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.