Bulging disc, spinal stenosis, foraminal stenosis, arthritis. Any advice.

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi, my name is XXXXXXX, I'm 35, 6'2" & 170lbs. I began having back pain when I was 17, I've had 13 epidurals & a laser back surgery (done at LSI in Tampa, FL) in 2008. The surgery was done on my right side only. It did help, but have mild pain sometimes. I was diagnosed with bulging disc L-3-L4 L4-L5 & L-5-S-1, spinal stenosis, foraminal stenosis & arthritis in that area. But my pain is extremely bad in the middle & both sides of my tail bone & the left side has pain going down all the way to my heal & not like the right side which the pain went to my big toe. It's hurting to the point were it's hard to move, lay & walk. I've has been working out & running, but the last week or so I've not been able to do anything. Thank you in advance for any type of advice you can give me.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
The pain in your tail bone with radiation of pain to the leg is most likely associated with progressive arthritis and disc problem in the area. An MRI of the spine will help in diagnosing the exact problem. You need to consult your orthopedician for proper treatment.
Meanwhile you can follow these measures:
- If the pain is severe, you need bed rest till the pain resolves.
- Get some analgesics prescribed and apply analgesic spray or ointments.
- While resting, keep a pillow under your knees if it doesn't bother you.
- Avoid lifting heavy objects.
- back strengthening exercises and stretching exercises for your hamstrings daily as advised by a Physio.
- avoid exercises in times of pain.
- improvise your posture while sitting.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.