Bucket handle tear, stiff knee, pain radiating down to calf muscles. Had meniscectomy surgery. Pain management?

I had a meniscectomy 4 weeks ago for a bucket handle tear.For the first 3 weeks my knee was stiff but not sore, Now i have a lot of pain especially down my calf which i dint have befor op. please advise
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 7 hours later

The symptom of calf pain after menisectomy needs to be evaluated by your doctor as phlebitis needs to be evaluated. This can be due to thrombophlebitis which occurs when a blood clot causes swelling in the leg and calf after prolonged inactivity, such as sitting for a long time or lengthy bed rest after a surgery.

You may need an ultrasound or CT (Computerized Tomography) /MRI (Magnetic Resonant Imaging) or a D dimer test. Till you consult your operating surgeon, apply warm compresses and elevate the affected leg and take an over-the-counter nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID).

You may also need blood-thinning (anticoagulant) medication, such as heparin or thrombus dissolving medication such as alteplase.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.