Brown pigmentation on labia, patches on vagina, melanoma. Treatment ?

Question
I have an area of brown skin pigmentation on my labia minora right side,going from the edge of the labia inwards,and also a small patch on the right labia minora,also a few patches around the opening of vagina,but only on the opening.I think i may have had the left-side patches for a few years,but i dont check that often.....ive had 3 births,and a forceps/ventouse delivery 14 years ago.i went to my gp today,and she had no idea what it was,but said she would do some research and ring me in about a week!!!!!. im beside myself with worry as looked up so many nasty things on internet tonight that i think ive got melanoma...please help.im 39 years old,and ideal weight and height and fit.
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Hello.

Mild darkly pigmented areas are common finding around the genitalia.

It is just a chance finding that you have noticed it now. Such pigmented areas are only melasmas and usually remain as such and do not need any treatment. The darker color is due to increased melanin production by the skin cells in that area.

In case the area becomes reddish, raised, with irregular margins, blackish in color, painful or ulcerative then it is a matter of concern and needs to be treated by a dermatologist after proper examination.

I hope you have found my answer and recommendations to be both adequate and helpful. Should you have additional questions I am available to address them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Brown pigmentation on labia, patches on vagina, melanoma. Treatment ? 2 days later
Thankyou,
The pigmentation is areas with irregular edges,and mixed colours of light brown and chocolate brown,but absolutely no redness,pain,ulcerations or swelling.It is also not raised at all.It just doesnt look very nice,mind you its not as if anyone sees it apart from my partner,occasionally !!!!

So,you think im ok ??? I was so worried when i saw it,but my partner seems to think ive had it for some years now,as i have had a lot of trauma in that area,ventouse,forceps,3 births.

Hayley

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Hello.

Thanks for writing back.

Such pigmentations are mostly harmless. You only need to self monitor the area every 2-3 months to look for any detrimental changes I mentioned earlier.

Sincerely hope this helps.

Wishing you good health