Brown discharge, occasional bleeding and pelvic pain. Is this the cause of concern?

Excellent

Question
My last menstrual period was from 5th oct to the 10th oct. It is normal for me to get a brown discharge of old blood for a few days before and after. For the last 10 days, however, I been having the brown discharge, and also occasional fresh bleeding. The onset was associated with pelvic pain on the right side, which was severe but short lived (lasting only seconds). I have had occasional "niggling" pain in the same place since.
Posted Tue, 19 Nov 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Infections, hormonal imbalance, PID, miscarriage

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

You are quite right about a brown discharge being normal if seen before or after a period, but quite clearly the reason why you are experiencing the brown discharge, may not be normal, especially when coupled with the pelvic pain.

As of now, based on the symptoms we can only assume the other causes, that includes
-Infections (eg. gonorrhea, chlamydia, etc.)
-Hormonal imbalance
-Pelvic inflammatory diseases
-Miscarriage
Therefore I hope you understand that you will have to visit your doctor to get accurately diagnosed and treated ma'am. Since the pain and bleeding has been happening for a while now, you need to see the doctor at the earliest.

I hope you found my response both helpful and informative ma'am. Please do schedule an appointment with your doctor at the earliest, and kindly keep me updated. Also, please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications ma'am, I would be more than happy to help.

Best wishes.

Follow-up: Brown discharge, occasional bleeding and pelvic pain. Is this the cause of concern? 17 hours later
Thank you for your reply. I shall follow your advice and go to see my gp tomorrow.

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are most welcome ma'am

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again ma'am.

It was my pleasure to be assistance, please feel free to write back to me for any further assistance, I would be more than happy to help.

Best wishes.