Broke hymen due to tampon. Red and tender after period, purple in color. What can I do?

I broke my Septate Hymen a while ago due to a tampon and i think it's now infected as it was really red and tender, after my last period and now is like a dark purpley black colour, it's really embarassing and I don't want to show a doctor :S What can i do?
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 41 minutes later
A dark purplish black color of ruptured septate hymen is most likely due to a small hematoma formation in the area. If there is no associated pain then you can leave it as it is and it will subside on its own in 2-3 weeks.
If there is pain or any discharge then you must consult your gynecologist for proper examination and antibiotic prescription.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.