Breast soreness, back pain. Negative pregnancy test. Brown spotting. Have fibroids. Need help

Good evening. The last time I engaged in intercourse was Dec. 2nd. and my last period was January 7th. It was shorter than usual. I've always been extremely regular, every 24 days, w/my cycle lasting on average for five days. I began experiencing extreme soreness in my breast, especially in the mornings, as well as lower back pain towards the end of January. As a result of this and not getting my period, I took two pregnancy test in February (two weeks apart), both of which were negative. The soreness in my breast lasted through the end of February-early March. My back is a lot better, but still a little sore in the mornings.
On Feb. 14th I experienced some moderate cramping, just as I do during my cycle. I rushed home just knowing that it was starting; I was wrong. Instead I had passed this extremely large, white elastic like blood-clot. A day or so later I noticed brown spotting, though not much. Anyway, we're well into the month of March and I still have yet to have my period. Also, I should tell you that I have several fibroids ranging in size w/the largest being 7-8 cm. I've never been pregnant before.

Lastly, things have been a little stressful as I recently started law school. I'm not sure how much stress plays a part in delaying a period, but read that it can.

Thank you for any information or direction you can provide.
Posted Tue, 9 Apr 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 44 minutes later
Good evening,
Thanks for discussing your problem with us.
A change in menstrual pattern is always significant in women who are used to have regular periods.
In sexually active women first possibility is a pregnancy especially with your history of passing some big "elastic like clot". Your history of back pain may be a sign of an old ectopic pregnancy. Although you have done pregnancy tests but some time in failing pregnancy & in very early pregnancy they come back negative. I strongly recommend you to have a blood pregnancy test & a trans-vaginal ultrasound ( recent). This will most probably give a proper answer to your question.
You also need to visit a Gynecologist even if both tests are negative for pregnancy as there may be a hormonal or other pathological cause of your symptoms e.g. you may be having high serum prolactin ( a hormone) levels ( causing your breast symptoms) or you may be having obstruction in your menstrual outflow due to some cervical fibroid ( although this is very rare). This may cause back pain & cramping. I have seen your old scan report there was a fibroid in lower uterine segment & they were unable to see endometrium ( inner most lining of your womb) which is very unusual. I again stress that you need a follow up scan from good sonologist.
Stress may be a causative factor but it must be a diagnosis of exclusion, that is, we can only put blame on stress if all other tests are negative & normal.
There are many other causes of absent or infrequent menstruation like recent weight gain or loss, chronic illnesses, medicines, & many hormonal upsets. So, see your doctor with full history. Your examination along with some blood tests may give you the reason of your problem & a specific treatment can then be offered to you.
Hope I have given you some clues. Please write back if you want to discuss this further.
Best regards.