Bottle feeding. Not started periods. Pregnancy test negative. Suggestions?

Excellent
Question
I had baby 15 weeks ago and am bottle feeding. My periods haven't returned yet. I have taken approximately 6-7 digital pregnancy tests and results are all negative. Can you give me your opinion please?
Posted Fri, 26 Jul 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
The absence of periods that you are having is due to increased levels of prolactin in your body even though you are not lactating. This is not due to pregnancy. Such delay in periods can happen for upto 2 years in some cases.
Since you are not lactating and the chances of conception are there, it is best to use a regular contraceptive like oral pills or a multiload after consulting with your gynecologist.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: Bottle feeding. Not started periods. Pregnancy test negative. Suggestions? 8 hours later
Thanks for your reply, I was of the opinion that I can start oral contraceptives until I get my period, is this correct?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Yes. You can also start with oral contraceptives. These will help you in having regular periods.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.

Follow-up: Bottle feeding. Not started periods. Pregnancy test negative. Suggestions? 2 hours later
So just to confirm. My baby is 15 weeks old, my periods have not returned bit it is ok to start back on pill anyway? Thanks

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 9 hours later
Yes. You can start with the pill if you are not breast feeding now. You can also consider using an intrauterine device like multiload for contraception.
Regards.