Born without uterus, had mcindoe to extend vagina. Developed condylomas. Does HPV gets transferred through sex?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
Hi, I was born without a uterus and as a result had to get a mcindoe surgery to extend my vagina in order to be able to have intercourse. I'm now 24 and just became sexually active this year. After a few months of sleeping with my boyfriend I developed a rapid amount of condylomas. I got tested for hpv and it came back negative and had pathology done twice and neither came back positive. I was referred to an oncologist who confirmed it was not cancer and said the growths did not appear warty and she thought it could be an effect of the surgery but recommended excision. I had the excision done but my gynocologist said despite the negative tests she believes I have HPV. I went for a follow up with her recently four months after the excision and she said everything looked good but she wanted to follow up and do another exam under the microscope in another 6 weeks. I am now in a new monogmous relationship and a few days after my follow up we had sex for the first time without a condom. I didn't mean for that to happen and now I am so paranoid that I could have given my boyfriend HPV. Is it possible that I don't have hpv and if I do have it what are the chances I gave it to my boyfriend if we just slept together the once? Also now that I am so paranoid I did a physical exam myself and I feel a few bumps but I dont know if they could be warts and if they are wouldn't my doctor have noticed them? Going forward if this is HPV what should I do? I dont know what to do because I know I should have talked to my boyfriend about it first, am I obligated to gell him because I dont even know if I have it? If we have sex with a condom what are the chances he will get it? Any help is much appreciated.
Posted Fri, 6 Jul 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later
hi,
thanks for the query.

Genetal warts are mostly caused by Human papilloma virus 16 and 18 types,
The sensitivity of serological tests is 50 to 60% and the specificity is around 90%, so sometimes these tests may not detect the infection.
You didn’t mention how many yers back you have undergone McIndoe procedure for vaginal agenesis,
However because of surgery we may see just small bumps like elevations as you noticed by your self but not large amount of wart like lesions.
From getting HPV infection to appearance of symptoms take some months to years, so one possibility is that it may be transmitted by skin to skin contact during surgery.
The percentage of transmission of HPV infection from person to person with unprotected intercourse is around 30 to 60%.
The infection once occurs it will take around 8 months to 1 year in most of the people.
But don’t worry by this it can’t be said that your boy friend will definitely got that infection.
Now you take your follow up as recommended by your gynecologist,
And use preventive measures like,
Condoms: condoms also may not give complete protection as viruses can also be there on inner thighs etc,
preferably female condoms should be used because they will cover more area compared with male condoms and give more protection,
Vaccines will not give much protection to those who already got exposed to viruses.
Microbicides like carrageenan based lubricant process can to some extent prevent HPV infection.
But you have to use them only after consulting your gynecologist.
If at all your boy friend develops any signs or symptoms of HPV better you tell him the possibility and ask him to consult doctor once.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
take care.

Follow-up: Born without uterus, had mcindoe to extend vagina. Developed condylomas. Does HPV gets transferred through sex? 8 hours later
Should I tell my boyfriend now and how would I explain it? I feel so bad and scared that I didn't say anything sooner or should I wait to see if he even gets any symptoms? If he doesn't get any I don't want to freak him out unecessarily and there is no test for guys so he would just be waiting for months to see if he got anything. How long does HPV take to clear your system and couldn't I just use condoms until after then? I'm pretty sure condoms will prevent any chance of him getting infected if he hasn't yet because my condylomas are only on the inner vagina walls.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 46 minutes later
hi,

if you are scared about telling to him, then don't tell.
as there is only 30 to 60% chance of getting infection with single act, there is possibility that he may not acquire it also.
so you don't worry about it, if at all he develops symptoms he can go to doctor.
HPV will take months to years to clear off completely.
you can continue to use barrier methods for around one year by that time the risk will decrease to minimal mostly.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
take care.