Bony protuberance on temple of child with palpable suture line. Concern?
User rating for this question
My baby is now 5 weeks, a few days after he was born I noticed he had a bony protuberance on his right temple, beside the also palpable suture line. I guess it is about pea sized but more angular. None of the doctors I have shown it to can say what it is. Should I be concerned?
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 6 hours later
Thanks for posting the query.
According to your description, it seems to be a normal variant of the suture lines which may be protuberant due to overriding or moulding of skull in newborns. This occurs because the skull of newborn is soft and malleable.
If a doctor, especially a pediatrician has examined the baby and found it to be insignificant, then I don't think there is any need for you to be concerned. As he grows, the skull bones will also grow and gradually by 18 months his sutures or fontanelle will close and probably the angular protuberance will resolve on its own. Even if it remains so, it is of no concern, unless affecting the underlying structures like blood vessels or brain.
For your satisfaction you might get an x-ray skull done if it persists after one year of life, just to rule out any bony defect in the skull bone but as of now it is of no use and no significance.
So don't worry and have patience. You have been alert and vigilant as a parent and I wish your baby good health forever.
Hope I have answered your query. I'll be available for any follow up queries. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
People also viewed
- Diagnosis of suture line infection
- Noticeable suture line skull
- Is yellow eyes or skinabdominal or stomach tenderness a side effect of sulfatrim?
- Arm pain from drinking
- Hcg drops and arm numbness
- Is numbness or tingling of the face, hands, or feet a side effect of doxycycline?
- Is dizziness or lightheadednesssore throat and fever a side effect of primaquine?
- Suture line infection causes
- Newborn cranial suture lines
- Is stomach or pelvic discomfort, aching, or heaviness a side effect of nexplanon?
- Arm pain due to gastric problems
- Arm throbbing due to tennis
- Bony protuberance on skull
- Is difficult, burning, or painful urination a side effect of glipizide/metformin?
- Sleepe arms during night