Bone protruding from behind throat, smooth, round, bony bump behind ulvua. Treatment ?

ENT Specialist
hi i am a 27 year old female i have notice recentaly after looking into my throat when i open my mouth wide there is what looks like a bone pretruding from behind the back of my throat i can touch it with my finger it feels smooth and round it isnt causing me and problems i have been doctors and he said there is nothing unusual thre but i cant help but worry is it normal to be able to see a small boney bump behind the ulvua?
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 34 minutes later

Thanks for the query

The soft bony projection behind the uvula could be granulation over the posterior pharyngeal wall. This granulation tissue appears as a result of constant assault from conditions such as chronic inflammation of the tonsils, sinusitis, allergy (hay fever), pharyngitis, and gastro-esophageal reflux disease. In all these conditions, the posterior pharyngeal wall appears like cobble stone.

The bony sensation you perceived over the posterior pharyngeal wall could be due to the bone - spinal vertebra, underlying the granulation tissue. It is very unlikely for a bony pathology do develop at that region. If at all there were to be any pathology, your doctor would have definitely subjected you to tests like CT scan/MRI to find the cause of the bony projection.

So do not worry about this, it is not going to cause you any harm. If you still have doubts and want to have a peace of mind, you can get a CT scan of the neck done to rule out any growth over the pharyngeal wall. I would suggest you to drink plenty of warm water, which helps in increasing the blood supply and reduction of the granulation tissue, also avoid, oily and chilled food for few days.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any doubts you are welcome.

Dr. Naveen Kumar
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon