Boil on anus, blood and pus. Potential exposure to herpes. What is the reason for boil?

Excellent

Question
I just got informed from a girl i was seeing she's been diagnosed with Herpes. I have an STD appointment tomorrow, and feel fine, expect i did/do have a boil on my anus, one only, no particular pain or discomfort although it burst yesterday, mainly blood and pus and over fast. Obviously i'm feeling paranoid and wanting to find another possible reason.
Posted Thu, 13 Sep 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 35 minutes later
Hi

Genital herpes can be transmitted via oral, vaginal or anal intercourse.
It would normally present initially with discomfort or abnormal sensation in the area and in some persons redness, this is followed by blisters which eventually break to form superficial ulcers. The blisters and the ulcers are painful.In men they tend to occur around and on the penis though they can occur in other areas.
It is not usually associated with the presence of pus.

The lesion on your anus which you referred to as a boil, may have been just that. Folliculits or infection of the hair follicles can occur in any part of the body where there is hair and can occur in the anal region. In some cases the infection can spread and involve more than one follicle and surrounding skin. An abscess- collection of pus may form.
The lesion sounds like it way an abscess which may have resulted from the folliculitis .
Perianal abscesses can also occur as a result of blockage of the glands in the anal region. The secretions that are stuck inside the glands can then become infected.

As stated earlier genital herpes does not usually present with pustular discharge.

When you go to the clinic , you should have someone look at the area because if it is an abscess the definative treatment is incision and drainage, even though it burst there may still be pus present

I hope this helps, wishing you luck tomorrow, feel free to ask any other questions