Blood test showed mildly raised absolute monocyte count. Should I be concerned?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Hi doctor my daughter is 17 years old. She had some blood work done.
I am concerned about her absolute monocyte count it was 1.0 and her
monocyte is an 11 also her creatinine serum is 0.55 and her
Bun/Creatinine ratio is at 35. The clinics I've taken her to tell me it's
normal. Should I be concerned?
Thank you, XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 16 Feb 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Yes your daughters absolute monocyte count is mildly raised ( normal upper range may be 0.8-0.9).However such mild increase could be due to an ongoing infection ( assuming she is on antibiotics).
Viral infection, TB, parasitic infection, chronic inflammatory diseases are causes of high monocytes.Out of which any recent or acute illness would be most probably a viral infection which is self limiting and though causes monocytosis , it's not much worrisome . Within a couple of weeks her counts should return back to normal in such a case.
Her Creat And Bun creat ratio can be considered normal for her age and sex as they do slightly differ from adult range of values due to the presence of less muscle mass normally found in child as compared to an adult which affects the measured values.
It's not likely in her case to represent any abnormality of kidney function.
So I would say that at present there is nothing worrisome and you need not be further concerned about her blood values.
So please do not worry .
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer in case you have no further queries.
Follow-up: Blood test showed mildly raised absolute monocyte count. Should I be concerned? 1 hour later
Her white blood cell count is at 9.3. Would that be normal or is it to high? I also had one more
concern sometime she complains of some moderate pain under both her ribcage on each
which runs down to her sides. Like in the flank area.
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 17 minutes later
Thanks for the follow up.
Yes her WBC count is normal and not at all high ( 4- 11 being normal).
Such pain if bilateral usually would be more likely musculoskeletal in origin due to exertion or posture issues . However any pain in flank region ( under rib cage on backside )should be ruled out to be originating from the kidneys or urinary system.
Sometimes mild dehydration in kids due to less intake of water can give rise to such temporary pain which is self resolving and should not recurr if the water intake is maintained henceforth .
If her water intake is adequate , she has no urinary complaints ( concentrated urine, painful micturition etc) then I dont think you need to be concerned much about it.
Make sure that she uses good postural habits while walking , sitting etc.
In case you still need a confirmation an ultrasound examination of the region and evaluation by a physiotherapist for any musculoskeletal issues can be helpful.

Hope I have answered your query.
Please feel free to clear any further doubts or queries.
In case there are no further queries, kindly accept my answer.
Wishing your daughter good health.
Thank you very much for your answer they have put my mind at ease. When my daughter
first start feeling sick I was more concerned about some type of leukemia, but I don't need
to concern myself with that. Would that be correct?
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 7 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.
Yes , you need not worry about leukaemia .
Many viral infections do present a deranged blood count however on blood smear examination leukaemia cells( abnormal WBCs) can usually be picked up and then the pathologist might order further evaluation .
As of now it doesn't seem that you need to worry about that.
I understand your concern as a vigilant parent and appreciate your efforts .
Wishing you and your family good health.