Blood test showed increased levels of ketones. Should i be concerned?

i rang my gp for results of a blood test ....he is looking at my thyroid levels which are low........but he also said the keytones in my kidneys where high and was i drinking properly if i am there could be problems with my kidneys is this something i should be concerned about it related to diabetes.
Posted Tue, 13 Aug 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Venkat Sivayogi 25 minutes later
Hi there,

Welcome to XXXXXXX

Increased levels of ketone bodies are seen in following conditions:

1.Excessive alcohol intake
2.Fasting or starvation
3.Low carbohydrate intake
4.Severe exercise.
5.Diabetes- uncontrolled

Slightly increased levels of ketone bodies are seen in conditions 1,2,3 and 4.
But there will be high levels of ketones seen in uncontrolled- Diabetes.

So to rule out specific problem which is causing raised levels of ketone should be sorted out. I advise you to consult your treating Physician as soon as possible.

Follow-up: Blood test showed increased levels of ketones. Should i be concerned? 22 hours later
conditions 1-4 do not apply to me and i was tested for diabetes and was told i was
not diabetic... my doctor is away at present very confused be I took the other doctor up wrong...but he kept asking if I drank enough water and did i have problems with my kidneys in the past ....i could drink more water....
i dont get a lot of exercise, i dont drink or smoke and im not a dieter so i dont understand the only option is diabetes but i was cleared for that ???
Answered by Dr. Venkat Sivayogi 56 minutes later

Welcome back,

If any of the above mentioned conditions doesn't apply for you, I would suggest you to repeat the tests(test for ketone bodies & blood sugar levels) again . Because some times laboratory errors can happen.

Get back to me if you have any further doubts.