Blood test showed high bilirubin count. No nausea, vomiting or abdominal pain. Concerned

My son is 16 years old and we did some blood tests in August 2012 and again two weeks ago. Each time the total bilirubin is very high: 48 last summer , 44 now, for a maximum of 25, as it shows on the test results. Direct bilirubin in now at 4.3, it was at 4.8 last summer. There were some high levels for the albumins but they are now just a little bit under the maximum recomended. He doesn't have any other symptom like nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, etc. I read on the Internet that it could be something from his diet, but I can tell you it's OK on this side. Our family doctor suggested for him to watch his diet and to redo the blood tests in 6 months... that will be then a full year since the doctor observed for the first time this problem. As a mother, I cannot wait 6 months to find out again if something is wrong. Please let me know what other investigations we could do to find a diagnostic for my son? Thank you
Sincerely, XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 3 Mar 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 13 minutes later
Can you upload the blood test report here so that I can have a look and give my opinion.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini
Follow-up: Blood test showed high bilirubin count. No nausea, vomiting or abdominal pain. Concerned 19 hours later
Good day Doctor,

I have just uploaded the blood tests: the first 4 pages are from last year and the last page is from this January. I'm looking forward to your answer. Thank you XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 46 hours later
I went through the report.
The total bilirubin is slightly on the higher side. The direct component is proportionately less which means the indirect component is high.
The other tests that are to be done are reticulocyte count, peripheral blood smear test.
It would be better if the remaining of the liver function test like AST and ALT also done.

After doing these tests only, a final opinion can be given.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service,

Dr.Ratnakar Kini