Blood test showed elevated triglycerides. Consume alcohol. Guide

Hi - I am a 37 year old male. I am 5'7" and weigh approximately 175 lbs. In January of 2010 (the date of my last physical) the blood work showed elevated triglycerides of 480. At that time I weighed 185 lbs. I am currently working to get to a target weight of 160lbs. I am hoping this will have a big impact in reducing my triglyercides to a more normal level. Does this sound likely to you? I do consume alcohol (mostly light beer) 3-4 nights a week. My father has been consuming alcohol (beer) every night for several years, is in his early 60's, and his triglycerides are normal. I am shocked that mine were so high a little over 3 years ago and probably still are. I am waiting to get to my target weight of 160lbs before being tested again. Please advise. Thanks
Posted Thu, 13 Jun 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 2 hours later
Thanks for sharing your concerns,

After going through available details, this is good that you are working to reduce your weight as your Body mass Index (BMI) is >27 against desirable <25.Your Triglyceride level was high in 2010 that is 480 mg, but you have not tested after that.

Yes reducing weight and taking care of diet by reducing fats and carbohydrates in diet reduces level of Triglyceride level but it may not bring level to normal level we need to check it.

Consumption of alcohol cause fatty liver and leads to high triglyceride level, so stopping alcohol will certainly help; also it reduces risk of injury to pancreas.

You should understand every individual is different metabolism.
You should recheck your Fasting blood sugar, complete lipid profile and Liver function, Serum Lipase, Serum amylase and Ultrasonography of Abdomen.

Please continue exercise and diet to reduce weight gradually to reach near ideal level. I am sure with sincere effort and determination you will be able to achieve your target.

Hope this information helps, if you have any follow up query please ask me I will be more than happy to help you.

With Best Regards.

Dr. Akhilesh Dubey M.D.