Ask a Urologist   »  

Blood test and urinalysis done. Is this indicative of a kidney or uti problem?

Jul 2012

I had a blood test and urinalysis - Im woman, 34

Is this indicative of a kidney or uti prob? I've been very very tired lately and sore muscles/joints.
wbc - low 3.9 x 10e3/ul

neutrophils low 36 %
eos high 9 %
neutrophils absolute 1.4 x10e3/ul

wbc esterase abnormal 1+
protein 1+ abnormal
ketones trace abnormal
wbc 6-10 abnormal /hpf
epithelial cells nonrenal >10 abnormalcrystals calcium oxalate present
mucus threats present
bacteria few
Posted Wed, 10 Oct 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 2 hours later
Hi there XXXXXX.
I have viewed your urine report & note that you are feeling tired & have sore muscles/joints recently. It does seem that you have some sort of a UTI. But, the presence of ketone traces worries me. Is there any history of diabetes in you or the family? If so, perhaps, a fasting sugar, 2 hrs post-prandial sugar & Hb1AC tests in order. In addition, a serum creatinine & blood urea & serum electrolytes may shed more light on the overall picture. This urine/blood test reports have to be taken in conjucntion with the clinical symptoms & NOT in isolation. Please take these reports across to your trusted local GP. In the interim, an antibiotic like ciprofloxacin 500mg (depending on your body weight..ok if more than 50/60kgs) twice/daily over a 5 day period may be just what is required currently. Make sure you rehydrate & drink tons of water & an occasional beer (alcoholic or not according to your preference) that will help 'flush' any traces of UTI infection out. It is also possible the oxalate crystals point to a diet XXXXXXX in meat/fibre products or indicate perhaps the formation of some tiny renal stones.
To put things in a nut-shell, do the additional tests like a serum creatinine &electrolytes that i recommended, drink loads of water & beer to flush out any infection & visit your local GP with the reports to further clinically assess you & put things in perspective. You just may have begun things with a simple viral flu judging by your blood picture & the clinical picture. The slightly raised eosinophils suggest an 'allergic' phenomenon probably long standing.
Cheers & Wish you Good Health & hope you soon bounce back to top form!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD