Blood results showed low platelet count. Can it cause blood clotting and bleeding disorders?

Excellent

Oncologist
Question
I have attached a copy of my blood results. I am wondering if the low blood platelet counts are signficant and whether they can cause bleeding disorders.

Are there other tests to check for blood clotting and to find if there is any spontaneous more deep-level bleeding within the limbs?

Thanks.
Posted Tue, 10 Sep 2013 in Blood Disorders

Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
level of platelets not significantly low

Detailed Answer:
Hi
These reports appear quite fine to me. The platelet count is slightly low but this is within normal limits. Below 40 X 10^9/L no complication like bleeding is expected. There is no need to look for deep-level bleeds or clotting tests unless you had an episode of spontaneous superficial bleeding. You have not mentioned anything about this in your query. I assume it is not there.

Overall I feel you are doing quite well and no further evaluation is required based on these blood reports.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer further follow up queries, if any.

Follow-up: Blood results showed low platelet count. Can it cause blood clotting and bleeding disorders? 48 minutes later
Thanks Dr. XXXXXXX

I forgot to ask you if you could also look at my b12 and rbc folate readings. Are there any issues with a folate reading which is too high, as I have read it can lead be linked to a missing tumour suppression gene.

Thankyou.

Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Those reports are within normal limits as well

Detailed Answer:
I had seen that report as well but I feel that is not of concern. Regarding that report from MD XXXXXXX which correlated high folate levels with shut off tumor suppressor genes, I would say that it is too early and not conclusive at all. Were you on any dietary folate supplements?

if so, then you should stop that now.

I realized that I made a typo in my first reply, it should read as "above 40 X 10^9/L no complication like bleeding is expected"

Follow-up: Blood results showed low platelet count. Can it cause blood clotting and bleeding disorders? 22 hours later
Dear Dr. XXXXXXX

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't taking any folate supplements at the time.

Yes, it was the MD XXXXXXX study that I found and I will take it for now that based on current guidelines, my high folate levels are not a concern.

Thanks and regards.

Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 27 hours later
Thanks. Please close the query if you do not require any further clarifications.