Blood post ejaculation after sex, passing clots, blood in urine, difficulty urinating. Treatment ?

Oncologist
Question
After sex when ejaculating my semen is all blood, then I pass some clots and blood is in my urine as well as some difficulty urinating.
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Men Sexual Problems

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 6 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.

It is not uncommon for a male to encounter a brief period of hematospermia or blood in the semen. This can happen due to vigorous sexual intercourse, from an infection or from inflammation. This usually will last one to three weeks before resolving completely.

I recommend that you abstain from sex for the next 3 days to allow for adequate healing. Then I would allow about 2 additional weeks of observation. If for some reason the problem continues then you should request a referral to a urologist for a consultation and examination.

At this point I do not see anything worrisome or life threatening going on although I understand why this would cause you significant anxiety.

I thank you again for the query and hope my response serves to be adequate and informative. If you have any additional concerns I am available to help you.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga

Follow-up: Blood post ejaculation after sex, passing clots, blood in urine, difficulty urinating. Treatment ? 13 hours later
I also have blood in my urine for the day following until clots pass! should I worry about this?

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 5 hours later
Hello again,

Honestly I would recommend you bring this to the attention of your primary care provider. Simple tests can be performed to assess for a possible cause of what you are experiencing such as a small kidney stone or a mild infection.

Unless there was an obvious trauma to the pelvis which you experienced which would explain passing of blood and clots in the urine I think this should be assessed medically with a full consultation, examination with possible blood and or imaging tests to get to the bottom of this.

I thank you again for the question and followup and hope that my response has served to be adequate and informative. If you have additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga