Blighted ovum and miscarried with major bleeding. Beta hcg level high. Is this normal?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
Hello, I was diagnosed with a blighted ovum 3 weeks ago and miscarried a week later (2 weeks ago) with major bleeding (passed out) and cramping. My beta hcg as of Dec. 7, 2012 is 28 and my last ultrasound showed that everything cleared and the endometrial lining still has a thickness of 1.1 cm. The ob/gyn prescribed misoprostol to help shed some of the lining. I took 4x200 mcg pills last night (over 13 hours ago) and nothing has happened. I have to take a second dose 24 hrs later (later today). Is it normal not to experience anything in my situation? I don't want a D&C. Is a D&C a potential option for me or will it resolve with my next period?
Posted Mon, 31 Dec 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

After miscarriage beta HCG levels will take some time to come down to zero level.
So, possibly it may take a few more days for that.
As at present there is no bleeding or pain abdomen and ultrasound ruled out the presence of retained products no need to bother about the endometrial thickness.
D&C is also not necessary.
After taking misoprostol sometimes it make 24 hours for the onset of action.
As you already took 800 mcg, generally no repetition is needed.
So you once again confirm about repeating the dose with your doctor before taking the tablets.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Blighted ovum and miscarried with major bleeding. Beta hcg level high. Is this normal? 13 minutes later
Hi Dr. Gouri,

Just to understand misoprostol a bit more, does it work at all when the woman has already miscarried? I'm just surprised I'm not experiencing anything after taking the first dose. I was told by my doctor to repeat in 24 hours if nothing happens. What is the normal thickness of the endometrium? Is it normal for it to be a bit thicker after a miscarriage?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 58 minutes later
Normal thickness of endometrium during menstrual cycle ranges from 1mm to 8mm.
During pregnancy the thickness of endometrium will increase.
Sometimes thickened endometrium can persist after miscarriage also, which is a normal finding and generally no further treatment is needed.
Misoprostol may not show much effect on it.
Reference: WWW.WWWW.WW
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.