Bleeding from penis. Ultrasound of scrotum showed varicocele, have tiny gallstones. Is this life threatening?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I have had two instances of bleeding ( from the penis ?) in the the past 1 year - was not sure first time where it was from - had some spots in my underwear. A week ago noticed bleeding while bathing. Was quite sure it happened from an area midway on my right testicle. An ultrasound of the scrotum today has detected 1)Grade 2 left sided varicocele. 2)Minimal free fluid in right scrotal sac 3)Bilateral mild Funiculitis 4)Normal both side testes and epididymis USG today, of the Pelvis and Abdomen conclude 1)Tiny Gallstones 2)Minimal Changes of cystitis 3)Mild to moderate prostatomegaly with significant post void residue ( 180 cc) One year ago had got a urofowmetry done when first diagnosed with enlarged prostrate. Got a repeat check done at the same hospital, yesterday who recommended the USG Tests done today. Have an enlarged prostrate and the flow in a uroflowmetry investigation shows diminished flow - down from 21ml/sec to 12ml/sec in the last 1 year with almost 100ml residual urine in the bladder. My questions are Are enlarged prostrate and varicocele related to cause bleeding ? Is this life threatening ? Any reason to worry - probability of a tumor or cancer ? Have been asked to get urine cycotology done for 3 days to check for cancer cells. request advice - How serious is this ? Thanks for a quick answer am extremely concerned.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 2 hours later

I will answer your questions in the same sequence.

1. Varicocele will never give rise to bleeding. An enlarged prostate with infection of the stagnant urine or a malignancy of the prostate can give rise to bleeding.

2. Only if its malignancy or severe infection it could be a bit XXXXXXX

3. Get PSA (Prostatic Specific Antigen) estimation along with TRUS (transrectal ultrasound). This will help in picking up a malignancy if present.

4. There is no harm in getting a cytological evaluation of urine done. This would be for bladder tumours.

Hope this helps.