Bleeding for three weeks, history of abnormal bleeding. What could this be?

Bleeding for 3 weeks mostly light spotting to like a light/medium period but last 3 days have bled very heavy with huge clots. but I only bleed like this for about 5 hours of the day. Prior to this I had abnormal cycles and bled daily for a year with a week break every 3 months, then my periods normalized somewhat then I bled every other month for 10 days. What could this be?
Posted Wed, 19 Sep 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

What you are describing is very irregular bleeding. This is not normal and obviously since you have not seen an OB/GYN for 9 years, now would be a good time to consider getting back in to see one!

Bleeding like you are describing could be related to the following:

1. Breakthrough bleeding related to an absence of ovulation. In this case, you never cycle the lining in any predictable fashion. The lining builds up and then shed very irregularly. This can be daily bleeding with occasional breaks (just like you are describing). Treatment can be as simple as puttin you on birth control pills

2. Bleeding related to an anatomic change, such as a polyp or a fibroid. A polyp is the most likely as they tend to bleed unpredictably. These can be diagnosed on ultrasound and treated with a minor surgery.

3. Please do not ignore the fact that your most recent episode of bleeding, which seems different because of the increased bleeding and passage of clots, might be related to a pregnancy if you are sexually active. You need to do a pregnancy test.

So, i hope this helps. Call your friends and get a recommendation for an OB/GYN and get this evaluated. You are going to feel so much better if you are not bleeding daily!!

I hope this helps - Dr. Tim